A look back. 2010 has been a busy year. Here are a few posts I especially enjoyed writing, organized for easy reference.
(2) Business Cases
(4) MBA Mondays.
MBA Mondays is not my work, but a great summary of the basics of starting a business (newspace or terrestrial) broken into bight size pieces and provided by a venture capitalist in New York.
I know anyone can google these topics, but to hear business essentials presented from a VC and to read the personal stories and input from those commenting - well worth your time if you are at all interested in starting your own company.
- Alan Wasser: Space Property Rights
- Craig Clark, CEO of Clyde Space: E-Commerce for Satellites
- José Mariano Lopez Urdiales, CEO of bloon: High-Altitude Balloons as an alternative to Suborbital rides
- Al Globus: Infrared Space Based Solar Power
- Jonathan Card: Founder of the NewSpace Business Group
- Brian Shiro, CEO of Astronauts 4Hire: Commercial Astronaut Services
- Suborbital Cargo Agent: Integrator Service for Suborbital (and NanoSat) Launches. I believe Andrews Space's Spaceflight Services implemented this business case during 2010 incorporating Suborbital, orbital, GTO, and Lunar all into one services business.
- New Space Credit Union: Use credit union profits to fund a series of space prizes
- Space App Store: Apple’s App Store for Space Vehicles. While focusing primarily on their own components, Europe's Clyde Space is now implementing many of the online elements of the business case.
- Lunar Base assuming Lunar Property Rights
- Selling Gravity to workers on Space Stations
- Servicing Iridium's LEO Satellite Constellation through use of a Tug
- LEO-to-GEO Tug: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
MBA Mondays (Listed in order posted):
- How To Calculate A Return On Investment
- The Present Value Of Future Cash Flows
- The Time Value Of Money
- Compounding Interest
- Corporate Entities
- Piercing The Corporate Veil
- The Profit and Loss Statement
- The Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow
- Analyzing Financial Statements
- Key Business Metrics
- Price: Why Lower Isn't Always Better
- Projections, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Budgeting In A Small Early Stage Company
- Budgeting In A Growing Company
- Budgeting In A Large Company
- Risk And Return
- Currency Risk In A Business
- Purchasing Power Parity
- Opportunity Costs
- Sunk Costs
- Off Balance Sheet Liabilities
- Enterprise Value and Market Value
- Bookings vs Revenues vs Collections
- Commission Plans
- What A CEO Does
- What A CEO Does (continued)
- Outsourcing vs Offshoring
- Employee Equity
- Employee Equity: Dilution
- Employee Equity: Appreciation
- Employee Equity: Options
- Employee Equity: The Liquidation Overhang
- Employee Equity: The Option Strike Price
- Employee Equity: Restricted Stock and RSUs
- Employee Equity: Vesting
- Employee Equity: How Much?
- Acquisition Finance
- M&A Fundamentals
- Buying and Selling Assets
- Selling your Company
Here's to a New Year filled with hardwork worth doing. And to the entrepreneurs who are living what I am only talking about. Cheers!